Recently, the people of Plateau State capital, Jos cried out over contaminated water from the state water board.
A residents at Bukuru low cost, the affected area disclosed that the water was set up by the state government water board, claiming that it was not properly treated, full of particles, because it is not treated with Chlorine.
One of the residents called Isreal explained everything concerning the water, saying that when the water tap was first set up, the water from the tap foams and looks pure white, indicating that it had been treated with a enough Chlorine, but now the water is contaminated, full of particles.
Mr. Israel said, “But these days, we discovered that water from the tap is not treated with Chlorine. For you to know what I am saying, fetch water from the tap in a container and keep it for Ten minutes and you will discover that the water is completely red with substance or particles under the container.
“It is safer to drink water from the bore hole than to drink tap water. That is why there is high rate of water borne diseases like typhoid fever and so on”.
According to another resident, Mallam Audu, said the state Government gives the board money to purchase Chlorine and other water treatment chemicals but they diverted the money into privates pocket.
Mrs. Agnes, another resident said she boiled water for the tap for her family, saying water directly from tap in Jos is desperate to drink.
Mrs. Agnes said, “I boiled my tap water for my family, allowed it to cool then add alorm and allow it to settle before turning the surface into a clean container and then of course the under water which is usually red in colored full of particles or substance will be thrown away, it is by so doing that tap water will be safe for consumption”.
According to 2017 budget, the State Government awarded One billion, Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine million, Nine hundred and Forty thousand Naira (N1, 999,940,000.00) as money to purchase assorted water treatment chemicals.
We recalled that two years ago in Laminga Treatment Plant, Plateau State, chlorine gas explosion occurred at the state water board, killed many people while the state Government donated N23million as assistance to the victim's family.
Mr. Nanhor Ndam, a public relation officer of the state water board said the contaminated water was caused as a result of the removal of water pipes to support the construction of road in the area.
He said as a result of road construction in the area, some of the water pipe broken and allows particles to enter the water pipes which contaminated the water.
The Officer stated: “We are going to deploy our Engineers to ensure the broken pipes are repaired in the affected areas so that the people living in that axis can get safe and clean water”,