Let's Be Friends!

Like us on Facebook to stay glued to our unbeatable updates.
Like Now!
#ChibokGirlsClock
1076days 17hrs 57mins 54sec
Super Eagles To Play Premier League Side Next Week – Rohr

UNIUYO postpones exams after armed robbery attack

Jean Daniel
14 Feb, 2017 In Education1 Comments , leave one
Following the armed robbery attack that took place at the University of Uyo Campus Monday morning, the school authority has postponed the first semester examination that was to commence on Monday to Tuesday.

On Monday around 3am, Gunmen suspected to be armed robbers invaded the university's town campus along Ikpa road.

Unconfirmed Sources within the university's town campus also said that some female students of the institution were raped during the attack.

Reacting to the incident, the university's Director of Information, Mr. Godfrey Essien, said that the situation has been brought under control by the university security outfit although investigation was ongoing.

Essien, however, dispelled rumour that some female students of the university were raped during the attack.

He stated that in matter of this kind, people often spew lies to exacerbate the situation.

He said: “The situation is under control. You know, the university is a very big community with a population of over 20,000. We have all kinds of characters just as in any township.

“As for the rape case, we cannot establish it as investigation is going on now. Be mindful of what people may say: in a situation like this, many students who live off campus are likely to give information that is real and unreal.

“It is true that the armed robbers broke into the campus, the university security has stepped into the matter; everything is under control. The only thing is that we have postponed the first semester examination that was to hold on Monday to Tuesday.”

A year one student of the Department of Political Science, Mr. Alexandria Oteri, told our correspondent that the armed robbers came into the Central Bank of Nigeria Block where some students were reviewing their notes against the first semester examination that was to hold on Monday.

An eyewitness, Oteri, said as soon as the bandits gained entrance into the hall, they shut all the doors, brought out their guns, and ordered them to lie face down.

His words: “The armed robbers were five in number. They did not wear any mass and they are huge and well-built. They waited outside like 10 minutes before the attack.

“As they entered the hall and shut all the doors, said, 'everybody down' before they brought out guns all at once. One of them was even loading the gun inside the hall to show us how serious they were.

“As they checked me, they saw my phone which did not appeal to them and left me for some guys with Apple laptops. All my friends lost either phones or laptops including those students who were doing their projects.”

Oteri, however, blamed the Federal Government and the university authority for not properly equipping the campus security.

Oteri, also disclaimed rumour that some female students of the university were raped in the incident.

He noted that the armed robbers only came and took their laptops, phones and cash away without engaging any female students in immoral act.

Add Your Comment

Recent Replies (1)

1
Nawa o, Uniuyo only known for its dreaded cult related activities. - yayahdrs8@gmail.com
World Clock

Lagos, Nigeria.

05:57 PM

Wasington D.C., USA.

12:57 PM

London, UK.

05:57 PM
End of Result