All you should know about Bdashei Darussalam scholarship for international students
Have you always wanted to go study abroad, but Europe or United States seem too trivial? Then why not consider going to Brunei? Today, we want to tell you about the Brunei scholarship for foreign students that can make your dream finally come true. Find out more about it, including who can apply, what you might need for your application and other important moments. Check it out!
What is the Brunei government scholarship?
The scholarship from the Government of Brunei Darussalam offers applicants the opportunity to receive their higher education (Undergraduate, Diploma and Master’s degrees) at one of Brunei’s higher education institutions with all expenses covered. If you get this scholarship, you can choose between studying at the Politeknik Brunei, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali or Universiti Teknologi Brunei.
The Brunei Darussalam scholarship covers the following expenses:
- All tuition fees at the institutions mentioned above;
- A two-way economy ticket to and from Brunei;
- A baggage transportation allowance for moving things from Brunei back home (BND$500.00 for countries outside the ASEAN region; BND$250.00 for ASEAN countries);
- Stipend (monthly personal allowance, BND$500.00; monthly meals allowance, BND$150.00; annual book allowance, BND$600.00);
- Accommodation at the selected institution;
- Insurance for the duration of the scholarship.
If you get this scholarship, you cannot get any other scholarship without the approval of Brunei’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. You also cannot have a paid job for the duration of the scholarship, and you should not bring any family members along with you.
In order to keep the scholarship, you should follow all the rules outlined here, the rules of your chosen educational institution and the laws of Brunei, as well as respect the country’s culture and refrain from engaging in any political activities. Failure to comply will result in termination of the scholarship.
Who can apply for the Brunei Darussalam scholarship for international students?
READ ALSO: How to travel and work abroad and pay later
Unlike with most scholarships, in this case, the list of criteria for the applicants is surprisingly short. However, it does not mean that absolutely everyone can apply. Here are the eligibility criteria for the Brunei Darussalam scholarship:
- People from the Commonwealth, OIC and ASEAN member countries can apply for this scholarship. Although, it also says that the pool of applicants is not limited to these countries.
- Permanent Brunei residents are not eligible to receive this scholarship.
- The applicant must be between the ages of 18 and 25 (Diploma and Undergraduate programmes) and not older than 35 (for the Master’s Programme) by the beginning of the academic year (July/August).
- Applicant should be nominated by their government.
- Applicant needs to have a certificate of medical fitness from a qualified medical practitioner registered with the government authorities.
If you feel like you can meet these requirements, continue reading to find out how you can apply for this scholarship.
How to apply for Brunei scholarship 2018/19
Unfortunately, the deadline for applications for the Brunei scholarship 2018 has long passed. As the academic year in Brunei begins in July/August, it makes sense that the deadline would be much earlier. This year, it was on February 28, 2018.
That said, you can still find out about the application procedure so that you know what to expect next year. Here is what you should know about the application process for the Brunei Darussalam scholarship:
- Go to mofat.gov.bn, click on Scholarships on the right-hand side of the screen and then find the link for this scholarship.
- Read about the scholarship and then scroll down until you find the link for the application form.
- Download the form, fill it diligently and give it to your Ministry of Foreign Affairs for endorsement.
- In addition to that, you must also submit a security clearance statement from your National Security Agency/Police Station that states that you are clear from any criminal or civil charges.
- E-mail the completed application form (along with the required documents) to the e-mail address stated on the application description page. This year, it was applyBDGS2018@mfa.gov.bn. Your form must be 100% complete, otherwise, it will not be considered.
- If you want to study at the Universiti Brunei Darussalam, you will also need to complete their online application. Click here to go to that application page.
- You might be required to sit for an interview or an examination if deemed necessary by your chosen institution. You will also be required to sit for a language assessment test. Depending on the programme of your choice, you will be tested on your knowledge of Arabic, English or Malay.
If you still have questions about the scholarship from the Brunei Darussalam government, click here to read all about it on the official page of the scholarship (our source). You can also send an e-mail with your inquiry to email@example.com. Now that you know more about it, all you have to do is wait until the application process begins next year. Make sure you are prepared!
READ ALSO: Memorial University of Newfoundland admission requirements for international students